One of the comments we get from customers when enquiring about bore pumps is “I just want it to work but I don’t want to pay the earth”. One of our experienced sales staff will always then look at the customer’s situation and application and specify a bore pump system that suits their application and budget. One quite innovative product that gets recommended quite often now for domestic and small industrial situations is the Grundfos SQ-N 3″ bore pump.
This smart little product has been around for a few years now and with its cousin the SQ-EN variable speed bore pump and the SQ-Flex Solar Bore pump, this family covers a very wide range of applications. The SQ-N range of pumps are a fixed speed on/off bore pump. Its main features are:
- Designed to fit in a 3″ borehole, the pump is a skinny 74mm wide. But can function well in most domestic 4″ and 5″ bores too
- Massive range of pressures and flows, from 15L/min to 115L/min and pressures over 1000kpa
- 316 grade stainless steel construction as standard, giving you premium corrosion protection for no extra cost
- Inbuilt dry-running and over temperature protection, to protect the pump when there is a problem in your system
- Inbuilt soft starter, to minimise the power draw at startup (good for running off generators) and minimise physical damage to the pump
- Integrated overvoltage, undervoltage and overload protection, so damage from power supply issues is now a thing of the past
- High pump and motor efficiency, so its cheap to run
The motors are based on the most recent technology within permanent magnets. This technology is the main reason for the high efficiency of the motors. The motors have a built-in electronic unit containing a frequency converter featuring soft start. This reduces the motor stress and the effect of water hammer.
One of the main benefits of the pump, like all VFD pumps, is that the motor only works as hard it’s required, to maintain a set pressure point. The pressure set point can be adjusted by the user to match the system requirements. This eliminates the pump from producing any unnecessary back pressure resulting from small demands. Coupled with the soft starting capabilities, these features attribute to significant savings on power. With the cost of power on the rise, people are seriously considering pump efficiencies.
As a product range, they are extremely versatile. They can cater for a wide variety of applications and are best suited to varying duty points. This is commonly caused by unbalanced irrigation systems or systems being modified over time. As SQ-EN pumps are pressurised, they offer a very flexible and future proof system. They can cater for a single garden tap to running a large domestic irrigation system.
With high efficiency motors, 316 S/S construction and built in motor protection, a Grundfos SQ from Southern’s offers real value for money and peace of mind.